- Pour boiling water over the black beans and let them sit while you prepare the rest of the stew.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and brown the pork shoulder. When the meat has browned, remove the meat from the pot, set aside.
- Add the onions to the pot. Brown them, stirring occasionally, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Sprinkle a little salt over the onions and add the garlic. Stir well and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Add back the pork shoulder, and the other meats and add enough water to cover. Add the bay leaves, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 1 hour.
- Drain the black beans from their soaking liquid and add them to the stew. Simmer gently, covered, until the beans are tender, about an hour and a half.
- Add the tomatoes, stir well and taste for salt, adding if it’s needed. Simmer this, uncovered, until the meat begins to fall off the ham hock, which will probably take 2-3 hours.
- Serve with white rice and hot sauce.
Carne Seca, a salted, dried beef, can be stored up to 6 weeks. A perfect way to start gearing up for a cooler season.
Find all ingredients for this delicious recipe at your local City Supermarket.
Recipe adapted from: